Governance Forum on Afghanistan (Go4Afg)
Status: In Progress
The project “Governance Forum for Afghanistan” has been launched by the German Development Cooperation. It will be a platform for dialogue on governance in Afghanistan. The important feature however is the research and policy-papers that will underpin this dialogue and which would generate evidence based and scientific inputs.
It will be implemented by Afghan – German Consortium whereby AREU is one of the four members. AREU was chosen with expertise in conducting quality, policy-relevant research, contributing to the development of inclusive and transparent policymaking processes;
The project, which will run for a period of 24 months, will more specifically:
• Contribute to an enhanced understanding of the governance context in Afghanistan and a more in-depth and systematic development of governance-related topics.
• Develop a network of experts and professional expertise on governance and Afghanistan and providing support and advice to Afghan and German decision makers and GDC programs
• Analyse and monitor governance trends and related topics, documenting lessons learnt and participating in the scientific discussion.
• Advise governance and related sector programs on measures for strengthening synergies and interfaces
• Ensure visibility of impacts of the governance sector and synergy projects in other focal areas.
1. These objectives will be achieved via these core processes:
• Governance dialogues: Go4Afg -as an interactive platform for Afghan and German experts, practitioners and decision-makers – will facilitate multi stakeholder dialogue on Afghanistan’s governance agenda. Roundtables, thematic working groups and research/policy paper presentations will be organised throughout the year. These will culminate in two annual high-level Afghan-German Symposia (2015 and 2016) involving up to 100 participants.
• Research and policy analysis: Go4Afg – as a think tank- will aim at deepening analysis by conducting research and developing 12 policy papers on governance themes. The project will also provide governance related advice and expertise to the on-going programs of the Afghan – German development cooperation.
• Communication and Knowledge management: Go4Afg – as a communication and awareness raising platform- will facilitate access to scientific information in the governance sector in Afghanistan and provide visibility to the impact of ongoing initiatives to raise awareness among the public but also lead to evidence based decision making.